Monday, February 6, 2012

Organized Chaos: An Adventure in Vietnam, Part I

So I believe it's officially the end of what I like to call the "stressful period" in my life, which lasted for 4 months, hence the hiatus in posts.  As Adam left for Vietnam, I attempted to keep myself busy with a lot of craft projects that still have yet to be completed, as the busy holidays and annual Fellows banquet at work took its toll on my so called, down-time. Sometimes you get so caught up in being busy that you almost become numb to feelings and emotions; no bueno. 

Right now, I'm extremely jetlagged, for real.  I can't really think straight, and my head has a weird pressure on it, and I don't know how much sense I'm going to make.  So why am I jetlagged?  Because I just got back from one of the most amazing trips of a lifetime to Vietnam, where my boyfriend is currently living. We did so many things, saw so many different parts of the country, and had a lot of fun experiencing everything together.  I left for this trip the day after a stressful work conference/Fellows banquet, and planned the trip no less than 15 days before I left.  The timing was right, as it was Tet Holiday (Lunar New Year) in Vietnam and Adam had an entire week off work, though I'm not one to plan something as big as this so last minute.  From last minute preparations, to asking for time off work (after already taking a week off in December), to going to a foreign land, I was definitely out of my comfort zone.  But you know what? It felt so good.  This sporadic, spur of the moment, go with the flow adventure took me out of my usual "everything needs to happen a certain way" mode.  It turned off, and I decided to let Vietnam have me, if you will, carefree, exploring, experiencing, not knowing what food I'd be eating next, or where we'd be going the next day.  Although some of my "I need to know what the plan is, and we need to stick to it" impluses kicked in, I learned that sometimes it's better to experience life on the fly, not knowing what's ahead.  Sometimes it's good to plan last minute, because then you're more open to experiencing the moment, than experiencing with pre-expectations.  

This trip definitely changed the way I see things, and may have an impact on my habits in the future.  It also revealed that I'm in my formative years, and now is the time to decide what type of woman I want to become and what dream I want to chase.  In the next few posts, I'll write more about my experience, but first, so that I can analyze everything fully, I'm going to wait until the jetlag wears off and the fog around my mind clears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment